Botox, really.

By ImJ9 Latest Activity June 23, 2012 at 7:21 am Views 2,104 Replies 14 Likes 1

ImJ9

I've noticed a few posts where people mention starting Botox. For migraine treatment?? Has anyone found it helpful and what exactly do they do?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (14 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • keokeogirl
    keokeogirl April 28, 2013 at 3:24 am   

Aloha All, I have been getting Botox for a about 2 years now and they are a miracle! I just changed insurance plans myself and the requirements they are having me meet for them to pay is 15 or more headaches a month. Hopefully they will continue my injections. The only reason I think I had that many this past 3 months is because I have been trying new medications for fibromyalgia and they haven't been agreeing with me. I have been having horrible migraines on all the medications I have been prescribed for the illness. Normally the Botox reduces my migraines by about 90%. I think I have been on too many meds lately, my head is all messed up!

• JKN71
    JKN71 November 2, 2012 at 12:12 am   

Yes, my insurance paid for two sets of Botox, then let me think they were paying for two more sets, which they then denied three months later (really!!!) leaving me owing $1,000, when I would usually only pay $105 per set. Keep in mind, that's just the Botox medication they denied…they actually paid the doctor to inject it, and i paid the doctor my co-pay!! Makes me crazy!!! They too, decided on their own that it wasn't working well enough…if it helps at all…then it's working!! Makes me wonder why I pay over $13,000 per year for insurance for me and my husband. I think I might be changing companies at the end of this year…that's Blue Cross for you!!!

• ImJ9
    ImJ9 November 2, 2012 at 6:43 am   

Wow, insurance companies can really suck. I can't believe how high your rates are! That's insane, they only care about their bottom line. Soon they'll decide that cancer treatments are not working "well enough" if it will only give you a few months to a couple of years. I think that the folks that decide to pay or not to pay should be giving a drug induced migraine and see if they would like some relief for it. Perhaps THEN the benefit vs. cost issue would be a little more clear. Well, I pray that you find some relief somewhere. I pray everyone here has a headache/migraine free month, year and lifetime. And world peace. Be well.

• JKN71
    JKN71 November 2, 2012 at 6:05 pm   

Thanks for your supportive words. It's difficult to stay positive when dealing with the insurance company. We have a small business plan…that's why our rates are so high. Plus, we did have a good plan, until they selectively started denying things. Of course, I'm the one that picks the insurance for the office…karma!!! They might not like it when I cancel them!!!

• ImJ9
    ImJ9 August 27, 2012 at 8:54 pm   

Not sure what the levels are you refer to but I'd imagine it sucks. I'm thinking maybe it's time I revisit a neurologist or anyone I can find specializing in migraine and headaches. The last time was about 15 years ago. He gave me some great advise but in sure there's new treatments and/or therapy …like the botox, that I just don't know about. I'll have to see if my insurance will cover the Botox. If not, see how much it is out of pocket.

• ImJ9
    ImJ9 August 27, 2012 at 8:08 pm   

Thank you for the update. I think I'll look into this. I get a migraine a few times a month but I have a headache to some degree nearly 24 hour a day. Do the shots seem to help with the everyday headaches at all?

• msbritt13
    msbritt13 August 27, 2012 at 8:31 pm   

I always have a level 3-4 migraine type headache. The spikes are what need the most help. Botox REALLY helped with the everyday migraine and the spikes were lessened. So, it works.

• msbritt13
    msbritt13 August 27, 2012 at 7:53 pm   

Botox paralyzes the muscles it is injected into. If your migrains are trauma induced it is really helpful in reminding those muscles they don't have to be freaked out all the time. When they learn to relax the headaches get better, but it may not last very long. I got 21 shots in my head every 10 Weeks. Yes, I was afraid of needles, but not anymore. Very helpful if you can have the botox treatments for at least a while.

• ImJ9
    ImJ9 August 27, 2012 at 8:22 pm   

Sorry, just realized you answered my question. I read the wrong post at first.

• CHILLI TACO
    CHILLI TACO July 2, 2012 at 10:47 am   

Just a quick one how long do the injections last or seem to really last before you need to go back?

global by the way Kris sounds nasty.: (

• John Bukowski Galt
    John Bukowski Galt November 12, 2012 at 8:19 pm   

I haven't had the injections yet, but my neurologist has explained it all to me and I might be having them next month (December). He said that the 32 injections (at 0.5 CC each injection) last 3 months and you don't have any migraines for those 3 months, sometimes even a little longer. Then after that time is up the migraines start again and you have to come back and get injected again.

• ImJ9
    ImJ9 June 28, 2012 at 9:41 pm   

Wow. Since I've joined up here, I'm realizing that I don't have it as bad as I first thought. I hate to think of the pain you must be in. I have daily headaches but I'm so use to it they only bother me if I have nothing to do. The migraines are a minimum of 1 a month but sometimes only the 1. Insurance is becoming a joke anymore. They don't seem to want to pay for anything. They don't realize that 1 month of relief from 24/7 pain is like having a whole new life where you actually get to participate. May I suggest that they take a baseball bat upside the head every day for a month THEN tell you that a month without a bat to the head isn't "helping much". Ahh, that felt good to vent a little. Best yet, let you be wielding the bat. ;) I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

• Kris2b150
    Kris2b150 June 28, 2012 at 8:57 pm   

I have had one treatment so far. It did lessen the pain for a few weeks but when it came back, it came back with a vengeance! I am trying to get my 2nd time to be approved by insurance. They are saying that it didn't help that much. I have chronic migraine & occipital neuralgia and have pain every day, all day. I don't care if the Botox only works for 1 month. That is one month that I can function like a normal person.

• AutumnFae
    AutumnFae June 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm   

I just recently got my second round of Botox treatment for migraines. Yes they do work. You get a series of injections in your forehead, each side of your head back of your neck and shoulders. It's about half the product of beauty Botox in an insulin needle. I use to get 3-4 migraines a week. Now i mainly get them around my menstrual cycle with maybe 1 or 2 break throughs. So far Botox is a winner for me!!