Migraines

By cloverz Latest Activity October 8, 2012 at 2:05 pm Views 2,496 Replies 23 Likes 2

cloverz

Hi,
I am new to the community and wondered if anyone suffers from 15 and even more migraines a month. My migraine md said to count the days they last to come up with the number of migraines. Mine can last 2-4 days. I also have headaches everyday. What do you find that gives relief. Thanks

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (23 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • eboyce44
    eboyce44 July 29, 2013 at 10:21 am   

Hi, you're definitely not alone. I get migraines everyday and they have been going for the last 9 years. I'm lucky if I have 15 minutes in a day without a migraine. I took my GCSE's like this with aura (loosing the feeling in my arms so i couldn't write, feeling in my legs so I was in wheelchair and the loss of eye sight in one eye) thankfully since then I haven't had the aura again but the migraines continued through my a-level and are now even worse as I am at university. Nothing even touches the migraines and the side effects just make me worse I think I counted 8 side effects on the last one. I'm under the neurology hospital in London but they have now given up on me so I'm being referred to Liverpool with a recommended neurologist internationally. Apparently he's the man to see when all else fails so here's hoping it works! I hope you manage to find something that works for you. You might want to look into the omega procedure, I've been researching it and seems a good contender with great results? Anyway I'll keep you posted if I find anything from Liverpool. God bless.

• cloverz
    cloverz July 29, 2013 at 11:25 am   

Thank you so much for your post. Please do let me know how things work out for you in Liverpool. I am going to check into the omega procedure. I fell from my mothers car when I was around the age of 4 to 7. My cervical spine is in terrible shape and one MD told me I may just have to live with them, but I am hoping I find something to just make my days comfortable. I wish the best for you and will keep you in my prayers.

• dks10
    dks10 July 27, 2013 at 8:32 am   

cloverz I know your pain. I've been having migraines for about 27 years now, but they've only started getting really bad in the last 3 years. Sometimes I'll have them 25 days out of 30. I take the generic Imitrex 100 mg. I used to take Maxalt when I had health insurance, but I can't afford it anymore. The Dr. says not to take over 2 of the generic Imitrex in 24 hours, but sometimes I've had to take 3 just to get rid of one. Also sometimes they only stay gone for a few hours before they come back. They also make me throw up sometimes, so the Dr. gives me something for that too. I've had one last up to 60 hours before, talk about miserable. Don't know if this info helped you or not but at least you know you're not alone. Good luck and God bless.

• cloverz
    cloverz July 28, 2013 at 2:18 pm   

Thanks for your response. I think I have tried everything. I am 51 and cannot remember not having headaches. They have been getting worse instead of better over the years. It helps just knowing you aren't alone. Thanks for taking the time to remind me I'm not alone. Have a great day.

• luckylady1722
    luckylady1722 June 27, 2013 at 10:06 am   

Hi, i am new to the community and I've been getting migraines for 18 years now. I was told that my great grandmother got them and my mother got them during menapause. I've stopped eating all glutten and all processed meats that is almost everything out there. What i eat now; fresh vegetables raw and steemed and chicken and meat and seafood that i cook at home. I have migraines that make me nauseous but not all the time. I usually lay down in a dark room with ice on my head and I drink anything that has caffeine in it, and take meds with caffeine in it. If that doesn't work then I take Imitrex . Oh and now I am getting them in the evening after work I've missed so much work that i'm behind on all my bills, i'm glad that I still have a job. Before this job I was fired from so many jobs (10) the Dr that I work for would say "I can't work like this you are lying on the tile floor more than you are takilng care of the paitence" I've been at this job for 2 1/2 years now thank you Dr. B. DDS !! Mine last anywhere from 4 hrs to 24 hrs usually I wake up with one. I think its stress and or hormonal related. Since I've started with these migraines I go from job to job and have no health insurance, I can't afford it its too expensive. Oboma Care is going to kill me!! I had a MRI years ago when I had health insurance the only time and they couldn't find any reason for the migraines. So I'm hoping that they will go away soon when menapause stops. I hope this information will help someone else with there migraines. Good Luck Everybodie.

• jprice12
    jprice12 January 14, 2013 at 10:38 am   

Hello everyone, my name is Adam. I am a 35 year old physically fit white male that has been getting migraines for the past two years about two or three a week. It all started after taking pain medicine for about 5 years due to a chronic shoulder that has made me get three surgeries. At first the migraines came every Saturday or Sunday. Now, they are sparatic and intense. I have taken imitrex but it made me nauseous, I have taken topomax, nurontin, beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, verapamil, celexa, suboxen, all with no help. The only thing that helps me out is zomig nasal spray. My wife is a nurse practitioner and she believes that it may be an issue with my serotonin. Has anyone out there experienced any of these issues or have a similar story. I am getting to my braking point and need some help. Thank you all for taking the time to read my story.

• cloverz
    cloverz January 14, 2013 at 12:40 pm   

I also use Esgic plus to abort my migraines. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about it.

• JKN71
    JKN71 November 1, 2012 at 11:55 pm   

Hi, I was having over 15 migraines per month, and at times, they had gotten to where they might last more than a week. I have been having them since I was a teenager, and I am now 41. I have been through all the triptans, and switch out periodically, as they become somewhat ineffective after you use the same one foe several years. My neurologist tried the Botox, and it was somewhat helpful. Not the relief I hoped for. I take 100 mg of Topamax 2 times per day as a preventative and have for years (I used to take 400 mg per day, but had no energy at the end of the day). My neurologist recently suggested adding Verapamil, a blood pressure medication, even though my BP is low, to take daily as a preventative. I was resistant at first, as it decreased my energy, and I had taken BP medication years ago for the migraines, with no relief. However, back then, I wasn't on Topamax. I read on here that someone received relief with the combo and have been taking it for the last two months. My headaches are much better. The only headaches it doesn't help are the monthly hormonal migraines. I take Zomig as an abortive. I also take a very low dose of diazepam for the neck pain that now comes with the headaches. I hope this helps you.

• Zoey36
    Zoey36 October 15, 2012 at 6:45 am   

Oops! To SiMi-X : what preventative meds do you take? Since you have no abortive med-what do you do?

• SiMi-X
    SiMi-X October 17, 2012 at 3:01 am   

I'm on nortriptyline. I tried the generic of Imitrex, but it did nothing at all. So, I'll have to try a higher dose or different abortive next. Thankfully, my preventive works pretty well, so I don't get migraines every day anymore and the ones I do get don't make me as sick as I was before.

• SiMi-X
    SiMi-X October 15, 2012 at 3:02 am   

Yes, I also have chronic migraines. Without treatment, they are daily/constant. Thankfully, my neuro picked a winning preventive for me that is helping a lot, especially now that the dosage has been increased again. When I do have a migraine, the preventive keeps it less severe. I don't have an abortive med that works, though. Imitrex did nothing for me.

• Zoey36
    Zoey36 October 15, 2012 at 6:42 am   

W

• Zoey36
    Zoey36 October 14, 2012 at 11:05 pm   

No problem

• Zoey36
    Zoey36 October 14, 2012 at 9:38 pm   

That sounds like a cool idea. Have to look at Walmart. If I run into any other suggestions I will surely post them to you. Maybe together we can make life better

• cloverz
    cloverz October 14, 2012 at 9:45 pm   

Let me know how you like it. And thanks for letting me know what helps you.

• Zoey36
    Zoey36 October 14, 2012 at 9:15 pm   

I hear you-I seriously do. Sometimes I feel I am dying too. I really without a doubt feel like I will have brain damage in the near future. I sometimes sleep with a fan too - to keep cool. I've never heard of the Frog Tog. What is that? I do get super nausiated with my migraines and I get super dehydrated with mine. I tried to add you as a friend-I hope it worked😊

• cloverz
    cloverz October 14, 2012 at 9:31 pm   

I think it did but being new to a community, I am not sure. A Frog Tog is the name of the company that makes them. They are a " cooling Chilly Pad Towel and it stays cool; lots longer than a wash cloth. You can get them a Walmart in the sporting section. It comes in a plastic tube and has a frong on it.

• Zoey36
    Zoey36 October 14, 2012 at 8:55 pm   

Great to hear from a fellow migraineur. I'm going on 4 years with my migraines. I recently had the only 2nd most horrifying migraine of my life Friday. I thought I was having a stroke. The pain was unbearable. I know you know what I mean. I just feel like I get no where with my neurologist: and it is soo frustrating. My problem is that the "triptans" don't work for me, and its all fine and dandy that my doc wants to try preventative measures:but I feel as if I will die with no RELIEF med at home. I find myself in the ER a lot. I mean a lot!!!! I know they just think I'm drug seeking-soo sick of that. Mine are really out of control right now-and I'm at my ropes end. Anytime you wanna chat-I'm here. Take care

• cloverz
    cloverz October 14, 2012 at 9:08 pm   

Sometimes, I am sure I am dying. I am so sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. I sleep with a fan on and was told that can aggravate them so if you sleep with a fan point it away from your face. If you like a cold rag I like the Frog Tog. It stays cool. Are you nauseated with your migraines? I dislike the way the ER docs can be. I used to take my FMLA papers where my migraine doc stated I suffer numerous migraines and they still thought I was a drug seeker. I travel 2 hours to St Louis every three months with these things. I don't know how to add a friend yet but I would enjoy chatting with you.

• asayes
    asayes October 18, 2012 at 9:01 am   

Hi, I'm new in this forum and I live in Sweden. I have to take eletriptan every day. Still, I don't get as severe attacks like I used too. I'm 50 now. I have tried "everything" but only three things had any longstanding effect: ginger capsules, ear acupuncture and a special homeopathic remedy rhat's said to balance hormones.

• InnerBeauty12
    InnerBeauty12 February 9, 2013 at 11:07 pm   

What do you use to balance your hormones?

• Zoey36
    Zoey36 October 12, 2012 at 7:27 pm   

Hello. I am new to the community and I also have 15 or migraines a month. Mine can also last from 2-4 days. I do have headaches everyday. I just wanted to write to let you know your not alone. I struggle everyday of my life and I know exactly how you feel. My job, my family, and my friends suffer. My neurologist has prescribed Keppra and magnesium as preventatives and Zomig when I get a severe migraine. Nothing is working!! I have found a nasal spray that is over the counter called Sinus Buster-give it a try. I find that curves the 'normal' headache sometimes. I'm praying the preventatives will kick in soon before I loose it!! I'd love to know if you find out any other suggestions.

• cloverz
    cloverz October 14, 2012 at 8:35 pm   

Hi Thanks for letting me know I am not alone. It feels like it a lot since many don't understand. My poor husband has missed lots of work just to take me to ER. Just the darn costs of having these are terrible. There is a newsletter called the National Headache Foundation. I got a copy from my doctors office. I need to subscribe to it. It is pretty interesting. Also, I take Axert since I can't tolerate the stronger triptians like Zomig. I also take Esgic plus. I was given Keppra but couldn't tell much difference. On Friday, my neurologist did Botox injections in the front top of my head, forehead, and in the back of my head. He said it takes 2-10 days. I will let you know how it works for me. How long have you had your headache? Mine started around the age of 6. I fell out of my mom's car head first as a child so the old injury contributes to my problems. I will try the Sinus Buster too. Take care.