Migraines since being run over

By cb09abf Latest Activity October 14, 2012 at 1:19 pm Views 1,618 Replies 1 Likes 5

cb09abf

Hi guys,

Thought I would share with you all my experience, maybe it will help someone.

Nearly 2 years ago I was hit by a car while cycling to work, I was hit on my side and slammed down into the road before being pinned under the car. Amazingly I was dragged out with only a few scrapes and bruises. However, within weeks I began suffering migraines, normally about a 4/10 with bad ones maybe a 7/10. These would not go away though, I would suffer constantly. I am photophobic and photophobic (light and sound causes distress) and I am constantly tired. It has affected my degree, energy levels, concentration and ability to retain new information.

After a year of going backwards and forwards to the doctor, unsuccessful rounds of CBT therapy and neurologist appointments we started to make some progress. The pharmatherapist (or whatever they called themselves - therapist that treat disorders with drugs) believe my fight or flight mode had switched on and could not shut off. Constant suffering led to really low moods and depression. I am currently on duloxetine which is meant to slowly shut off my fight or flights mode, reducing the adrenalin and corticosteroids my brain is releasing. Also increasing my endorphin levels slowly resetting my natural levels registered by the endorphin receptors as these reset to your normal baseline, so a year of feeling bad means your brain stops releasing endorphins (or so I am told).

Syndol is another medication I have found to be beneficial, including codeine, caffeine and a muscle relaxant.

The biggest problem seems to be that I have multiple triggers: light and sound (which as a trainer teacher is a little worrying), sinus pressure, barometric pressure, neck problems (which is being treated by Physio since the accident. But even when all of these things are being treated I still can suffer.

The duloxetine has been doubled already, though after 4 months is not working so well again.

Having said all of this, I could be 6 feet under, dying in the accident so I do realise how lucky I am. I am on my way to starting my dream career and love coaching basketball. It makes life tough sometimes, but you have to deal with what comes your way. The best thing I have realised though is if you ask for help (and get through the non caring professionals) there are a lot of kind, understanding caring people who try to help. So don't suffer in silence (metaphorically speaking).

Exercise and diet changes have helped. I am currently drinking supergreens (ormus sun warrior) and aloe Vera juice which are meant to have many beneficial properties.

I hope this helps someone or at least make someone feel they are not facing everything alone.

All the best

Craig

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (1 reply)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • ImJ9
    ImJ9 November 2, 2012 at 7:01 am   

It's a terrible thing that has happened to you. But you sound like you are keeping a really positive outlook. That's great. You've also giving me something to think about on a different health issue. I'd had normal blood pressure all my life. At 38, I was hit by a drunk driver. I was banged up pretty good and had to be cut from my car with the jaws of life. A few weeks later, at work, I'd become very frustrated with one of my employees and was working to keep my cool. Suddenly things went fuzzy and I felt I was about to pass out. Luckily for me, I worked at a hospital and a nurse went into action checking my vitals. My blood pressure had soared to 198 over 135. Of course I followed up with my primary and I suddenly had high blood pressure. Only 3 weeks before the accident it was my normal 117 over 75. I've wondered if the accident could have had anything to do with it but thought I was just in denial. But now I think perhaps it's worth looking into. Thank you for sharing your story.