Ocular Migraines

By joni55 Latest Activity April 20, 2013 at 1:15 am Views 2,131 Replies 4

joni55

Hi everyone, I'm new to this community.

A week ago Thursday, I woke up with my eyes going crazy and not being able to focus on anything. I went back to sleep and it stabilized later but I had white flashes in my left eye. It was like a line and floaters, more than I'd ever had. I went to the eye doctor right away and was told it was an ocular migraine. On doing some research, I read that those are only supposed to last for 20-30 minutes. Well, the pain and flashes went on until yesterday. I went to the eye doctor again yesterday and he said there was nothing wrong with my eyes but that it was in my brain and I need to see a neurologist. Very frightening experience… I'd been having pain and flashes for a week. So, on the way home, I got an over the counter migraine med and it helped but I'm still having the flashes and a shadow over my left eye and last night, I got a white flash in my right eye. The pain is gone, and I am thankful for that.

Has anyone else been through this?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (4 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • JKN71
    JKN71 June 15, 2013 at 2:54 am   

Also, ask your doctor about an ultrasound of your carotid arteries. My mother started having what the eye doctor deemed ocular migraines late in life, after no migraine history, and she had a massive stoke at 65 and didn't survive. I later read that the ocular symptoms can be a sign that you have a blockage in your carotid arteries (the ones in your neck), which is where her clot was. Yours may just be a migraine, but I would feel safest covering all bases.

• joni55
    joni55 June 19, 2013 at 12:16 am   

Thanks for the advice. I have an appointment with the neuro next week and I will suggest that.

• chuffers244
    chuffers244 April 25, 2013 at 6:32 pm   

Hi im new as well!
    These are very common symptoms for ocular migraines! Iv had a few but mine get so bad u go blind temporarily. It's basically ur brain sending the wrong signals to your brain and eyes.The nerves in your eyes spasm and this causes the vision loss. I get flashing yellow/ black and vision reduces to less than a 5 pence price but that really bad ones! You get auras ie the white flashes or lines that move around. There will be nothing physically wrong with your eyes as the doctor probably told you? Also did you lose control of one eye ie it would jump around or not stop moving that also common in bad ocular migraines! They normally only last tops 72 hours. I get a wide range if migraine varying from hemiplegic, ocular and just normal ones :) I normally feel odd for about2-4 days after iv had an ocular migraine but then it goes back to normal! Hope this helps :D

• joni55
    joni55 May 9, 2013 at 12:21 am   

Thank you so much. Yes, it did. The eye doctor did say it was my brain, not my eyes. So, I was relieved with that news. He did send me to a neurologist and I'm going for an MRI on Friday. When I woke up that first day I had that, my eyes were all over the place, so maybe one was messing up. It felt like both were. I couldn't focus. The headache, bad one, lasted a week. I've had minor ones since then. It doesn't seem to go away completely. I have had a few white flashes recently too. thanks again for your input.