Triggers

By Hyrum Anderton Latest Activity April 25, 2013 at 5:45 pm Views 1,685 Replies 10 Likes 1

Hyrum Anderton

What are your biggest migrane triggers?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (10 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • I dont know anymore
    I dont know anymore August 28, 2013 at 2:01 pm   

I have photophobia. Also, one of my biggest triggers is the smell of whiskey and rum. I recently just found out that too much of salt cosumption and msg are one of the culprits

• CatLoverGGma
    CatLoverGGma June 1, 2013 at 4:54 pm   

One of my triggers is not eatng every 3-4 hrs. If I wait four hrs I start getting shaky and my vision gets a little blurry. If I eat then, no migraine. After that time it's pretty iffy - may get one or may not.

Another big trigger is not sleeping right. If I sleep 8 hrs I am usually okay. However, if I take a nap for two hrs it will pretty well guarantee I get a migraine. My days and nights are messed up and have been for years. Because of my PTSD I slept in the light hrs and was up in the dark hrs - less fear in the light. So now I am fighting what has become normal for me and have to (according to my doc) switch to the "normal" hrs. I can go to doc appts, do my shopping and other things on the hrs I keep. Why do I have to go to what has not been "normal" for me for years?

I am one of the lucky people who chocolate isn't a trigger. However, if I have a migraine and eat chocolate it intensifies the pain.

Strong smells bother my allergies, which in turn can cause a migraine. I just hate those people who bathe in their perfumes/colognes - in small, confined places like a bus it's been so bad that I've gotten off & walked.

Many times my allergies act as a trigger to get a migraine. The congestion causes the tightness in my head, which can lead to a migraines if I can't get uncongested quickly. Of course, taking a decongestant pill interferes with the migraine meds. I finally got a nasal spray decongestant and it has made a big difference.

• babyhawaii
    babyhawaii November 18, 2014 at 4:38 pm   

I totally agree with you that waiting too long to eat allergies and not sleeping well can be triggers

• Shila_Anne
    Shila_Anne May 26, 2013 at 8:59 pm   

Cigarette smoke, hunger, bright/flashing lights, 3-D movies(lol) and pretty much anything with a strong smell (nail polish, bleach, any kind of chemicals)

• 1MamaBee
    1MamaBee May 18, 2013 at 8:57 am   

A major trigger for me is perfumes, colognes, cleaning supplies, anything that is scented.

• natiejoe
    natiejoe May 2, 2013 at 4:31 pm   

I have migraines that don't hurt but cause vertigo. The key migraine triggers are Sharp Cheese, Red Wine, Whiskey, MSG, Chocolate. I went to Mayo and many other professionals without success. A neurologist suggested I had migraines which I did not feel but were causing dizziness. I had severe skin rashes as well at the time.
    I had taken a flu shot for the first time after turning 60 which may have been the catalyst as soon after I developed these issues. It turns out MSG is in flu shots as a preservative and binding agent; its in all processed food, its in all fast food, it's in all pickles. You see its a preservative and flavor enhancer. Remember lettuce in the past developed rust color on the edges of the leaves. Restaurants use MSG spray and bingo it looks fresh as ever. It's in chocolate and all candy and all soft drinks. The list goes on and on. The key is the FDA has allowed many terms to disguise its use because Asian food gave MSG a bad name. You can find listings on the internet of the 20 or so approved terms like 'hydrolized" anything.
    In any case if I avoid the listing of items my skin cleared up and vertigo evaporated with the Migraine.

• chuffers244
    chuffers244 April 25, 2013 at 6:33 pm   

Chocolate, stress, cheese, lack of sleep, not eating well enough to name a few. But major trigger is definitely stress!

• Hyrum Anderton
    Hyrum Anderton April 26, 2013 at 12:33 pm   

All chocolates or just milk chocolate? All Cheese or just certain kinds? interesting…

• natiejoe
    natiejoe May 2, 2013 at 4:51 pm   

All chocolates can cause migraines. During the past twenty years the addition of MSG makes double jeopardy. Processed cheese has MSG added for flavor and preservative. Regular cheese can cause migraines. If it's yellow it has potentially the added MSG again double jeopardy.

• 1MamaBee
    1MamaBee May 18, 2013 at 8:55 am   

The caffeine in chocolate can also add to the migraine. A small amount of caffeine can help, but too much and it becomes a problem. Go figure. Who doesn't eat too much chocolate when they get their hands on some? :)