Hi, I'm new! Please help!

By dogloverrd Latest Activity May 13, 2013 at 8:22 am Views 1,480 Replies 7 Likes 2

dogloverrd

Hello, I'm fourteen and I have been having migraines for about two years now. And I don't know what to do. I get one about every two months. They last about three days. I first get a weird vision problem, which includes blind spots. My vision blurs so much I feel dizzy and I can't see anything! Then I get the numbness up the opposite side of my body. It affects my legs, arms, even my mouth and tongue! My head just pounds for hours! I always puke multiple times. I have tries Advil, Excedrin, and many others that are supposed to help, but nothing works! I can't do anything but sit in bed and stare at a wall. It's absolutely horrible. I can't go to school or soccer practice, and I feel so utterly alone because my friends don't seem to understand how awful these things are. I went to my doctors for this last year, but she didn't do much or anything and just prescribed an anti Nassau medication that doesn't help. I honestly don't know what else I can do. Am I just going to suffer like this?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (7 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • dks10
    dks10 August 12, 2013 at 12:00 pm   

Sweetie you really do need to see a good Dr. about this. A good Dr. will give you something for throwing up and something that will knock out the migraine. I've been living with them for years now and I know there are meds. out there that can help you. Good Luck.

• just2rob
    just2rob August 12, 2013 at 12:39 am   

I completely understand as mine started young. Those symptoms you describe, vision disturbances, numbness in extremities (arms, legs etc) are called the aura. Then the terrible head pain and nausea for days on end tell me you should see a neurologist, as soon as your parents can find you a Neurologist. Its important that they find out what might be causing them. Mine still are around my period (sorry guys : ). And can last up to 7 days. My heart goes out to you.

• Shila_Anne
    Shila_Anne May 26, 2013 at 8:49 pm   

I agree with the other responses, you need a new doctor! You will eventually find something that will help. It may take a few tries but you will NOT suffer forever.

• lyss12b
    lyss12b May 20, 2013 at 10:53 pm   

Hi,
    Maybe you should try a neurologist if your regular doctor isn't helping much. There are a lot of treatments you can try so don't give up.

• CatLoverGGma
    CatLoverGGma May 21, 2013 at 11:35 pm   

Hello dogloverrd -

The first thing I want to say is that NO, you won't suffer like this forever! At your age I know that is hard to believe but it's the truth. After several years of going home from work, hoping I wouldn't get sick in the cab on the way & hoping I'd be able to see the lock on the door to get in my home, taking only over-the-counter (OTC) meds, I finally took some control & found a doctor that was willing to help. You & your parents can do the same.

As lyss12b said, you & your parents need to find a neurologist. That kind of doctor understands exactly what you are going thru & will be able to help you find the right kind of meds for you.

There's a book (mass market paperback) you might want to check out - and have your parents also read. It's called The Migraine Braine - by Carolyn Bernstein, MD & Elaine McArdle. You can get this book used or new online. The best place for just about any kind of book you want is AbeBooks.com. This site has books listed from independent booksellers & prices range from $1.00 (yes, a buck!) and many have free shipping. Just about anyone's allowance should be able to handle that. This book can answer a lot of questions and can point you in the right direction to get the help you need.

Hope this helps you. Just remember YOU ARE NOT ALONE. This community is here to help in any way we can. Keep in touch & let us all know how things are going - whether good or bad.

• just2rob
    just2rob August 12, 2013 at 12:45 am   

Great tips CatLoverGGm. Being validated by the right doc's can alleviate her fears.

Take care

• CatLoverGGma
    CatLoverGGma August 12, 2013 at 10:27 am   

Hi just2rob - Thank you.