What wrong with me?

By sadteenshappyfaces Latest Activity June 24, 2013 at 3:53 am Views 1,672 Replies 9 Likes 2

sadteenshappyfaces

Hi I'm abbie and I'm 16, I've been having migraines for about a year now and I've been prescribed with migralief but sometimes it isn't strong enough the kill the migraine. I usually feel light headed and if they're really bad I tend to feel really nauseous, a lot of people suggest sleeping in a dark room but sometimes that doesn't even help, at times I can't even lift my head off the pillow, I don't know if something can be causing it or if I'm just one of the unfortunate sufferers but I just want answers. I'm not sure whether the stress of school or exams is bothering me, but for the past two years I've been going through a really tough time and my family say that could be why I get them, could anyone recommend me anything or give me some advice? And should I visit the doctors again?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (9 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • dks10
    dks10 July 22, 2013 at 7:02 am   

Hi, I have really bad migraines also. Have you tried Maxalt or Imitrex? Ask your Dr. about them. The Imitrex has a generic that is not expensive. Good luck hon.

• sadteenshappyfaces
    sadteenshappyfaces July 16, 2013 at 3:01 pm   

Sometimes my back aches and I feel lethargic

• MrsWeaver
    MrsWeaver July 16, 2013 at 1:15 pm   

Do you have body pain as well? In your muses and joints?

• sadteenshappyfaces
    sadteenshappyfaces July 1, 2013 at 1:58 pm   

My doctors hasn't done any testing as I haven't gone to visit him yet, I wanted some advice on here first, I do tend to take paracetamol and cocodamol too, I really want to visit a neurologist but i don't know how?

I've not been keeping a diary but after you've mentioned it, it sounds like that could be a lot of help! Awww this has helped a lot! Thank you so much ill definitely take a trip to my doctors now.

• CatLoverGGma
    CatLoverGGma July 2, 2013 at 12:54 pm   

Hi Abbie - so glad we could be of some help. It's terrible to suffer when you don't need to. eboyce44 was right - don't give up because there is a treatment out there that will work, you just have to keep trying, no matter how you feel.
    I had them for 8 yrs before we hit on the rght doctor andx the right med combe. Still tweeking here and there with a few supplements - these are trial and error but the fine tuning has been no problem since the migraines are under control. Keep in touch and let us know how it's going. Hugs.

• eboyce44
    eboyce44 June 27, 2013 at 12:51 pm   

Hi Abbie, there could be many causes for getting migraines, stress is definitely a major contributor. Although Migralief is a good treatment, it does not always work for everyone so you should certainly seek medical advice, a neurologist would be the best person to see and your GP can refer you to one in your local area. I know how you feel and you could be looking at a long process, I've been waiting for 9 years to find a treatment that works but if I can give you a piece of advice: never give up on seeking treatments there will be one out there that works for you. I hope you manage to find something that works for you. Emma

• sadteenshappyfaces
    sadteenshappyfaces July 1, 2013 at 1:55 pm   

Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to try and book in with a neurologist because it could be something else that is causing my migraines, thanks for the advice ill keep you posted!

• Migrainemomma76
    Migrainemomma76 July 28, 2013 at 1:55 pm   

I noticed you said you've had them for two years, have you linked them to your menstrual cycle? Some women get migraines for that reason too.

• CatLoverGGma
    CatLoverGGma June 27, 2013 at 12:29 am   

Hi sadteenhappyfaces - sorry to hear about your migraines. Several questions come to mind here. Has your doctor done any testing? Is migrlief the only med you have tried? Have you seen a neurologist, one specializing in migraines?

Are you keeping a migraine diary?? Very important, should include time of migraine, med(s) taken, anything else such as lying down, noise/light bothering. Also include foods eaten for that day - times are helpful. If you take OTC meds, that should also be there. Physical activity. All of this info will be extremely helpful to the neurologist and will help in deciding how to treat your migraines.

I had migraines 23-26 days every month until I started seeing a neurologist. Turns out I was having rebound migraines from the meds I was taking then. The first thing he did was take me off the meds I was taking. I also have allergies so that med was changed too.

I think you should really see a neurologist, they specialize in anything going on in your head and after questions he/she will make recommendations for you. There's also massage therapy, accupuncture, accupressure, chiropractor, etc. All should be talked over with your parents first. I hope this helps you and please keep in touch here. Hugs.